How to Remotely Access Someone’s Computer – Complete Guide
A remote or shared family computer can pose a cybersecurity threat depending on who uses it. However, you can control what other users download, what websites do they visit, who your child is chatting with, and what are they doing on their PC. In the following guide, you will learn how to remotely access someone’s computer and monitor their user activity.
All of this can be done by simply using a remote PC access software. However, there are hundreds of such monitoring software programs on the market, each having a different set of features and price. Many of them are overpriced, some are no more than a crap, while only a few are truly worth to consider. One of them is Spytech’s Realtime-Spy, an award-winning, powerful remote PC access software that allows you to monitor and record EVERYTHING users do on their PC – in complete stealth.
How to Remotely Access Another Computer Without Them Knowing
Realtime-Spy provides a large array of comprehensive computer monitoring features, operating invisibly and recording EVERYTHING your child or other users do on their PC. The software logs and records anything a user does on their computer, as well as display, in real-time, what he/she is doing and typing. Some of the features include Remote Install and Remote Monitoring from any location, 100% Undetectable, and Bypasses any Spyware Detector. Realtime-Spy’s creative and easy-to-use features are unmatched and provide the ultimate all-in-one remote PC access software.
Why Spytech’s Realtime-Spy is the Best Remote PC Access Software
Top Features of Realtime-Spy:
- Activity Monitoring and Surveillance: Realtime-Spy logs anything in real time, from what users typed and the files they downloaded, to chat and email conversations, website searches, programs they ran, and much more.
- Local and Remote Installation: It supports two types of installation: Local and Remote. If you have access to the computer, simply go through the configuration wizard to have Realtime-Spy setup and monitoring in seconds. If you don’t have access to the computer, create a remotely deployable module and send it via email, chat message, or sharable link. Once the user gets the file you’ll take a full control of the remote computer from your home.
- Total Stealth Operation: Realtime-Spy operates in total stealth (it does not even show up in the task manager) and is completely undetectable by popular third-party antivirus and spyware detectors.
- Easy To Use: Realtime-Spy is extremely easy to use. It can be installed with just a click on a button and requires no technical skills to use it.
- The Best Remote PC Access Software: It’s the most powerful, feature-rich, cloud-based monitoring software that allows you to remotely access someone’s computer.
You get a detailed step-by-step installation guide and technical support once you purchase the software. So, what are you waiting for? Download Spytech’s Realtime-Spy from the following link and start tracking and monitoring user activity on your PC!
System Requirements: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 (32 and 64-bit supported) and Mac.
How to Control Someone’s Computer Remotely – With User Permission
Before we proceed any further, you need to know that this is an entirely different tool used to remotely access someone’s computer. As we saw previously, Realtime-Spy is a remote monitoring software that can be installed remotely on the target’s PC, and it operates in a complete stealth (remains undetected by spyware detectors).
Now unlike Realtime-Spy, this remote PC access software needs a server (host side) and viewer (client side) to be installed on both PCs, and the viewer is used to control the server. This means that both users (the host side and the client side) need to have the same software installed/enabled on their systems, and the host side must have network access to the remote computer with permission to connect. This makes the whole process open and transparent, which is not suitable if you need to remotely access another computer without the target knowing.
So for this reason, if you are looking for a way to remotely access another computer without user permission and without them knowing, the best way to do it is by using a remote monitoring software, such as Realtime-Spy.
Free Remote PC Access for Windows 10
Let’s begin by trying the built-in free remote access software in Windows 10. The benefit of using this remote pc access software is that you can access your office computer from the road, share your screen for remote support from another location, or even make video conference across town. It’s the perfect tool to keep all your people and computers connected.
Windows Remote Desktop is the free remote access software built into the Windows OS. You don’t need to download any additional software in order to use it. To connect to a remote computer, Remote Desktop must be enabled on every computer you want to connect, you must have network access to the remote computers, and you must have user permission to connect.
You can remotely access someone’s computer with Windows Remote Desktop by opening the System Properties settings. Now allow a remote connection via a particular Windows-user through the Remote tab.
Please note that you need to setup your router for port forwarding so another computer can connect to it. This is usually an easy step to complete, but if you have a hard time setting it up, take a look at the video below.
The user on the other computer that will connect to the host PC simply needs to open the built-in Remote Desktop Connection program and enter the IP address of the host machine. This method is the most natural and easiest way to remotely access someone’s computer and control its mouse and keyboard.
Follow the video below for a step by step guide on how to remotely access someone’s computer by using the Windows Remote Desktop software.
Once everything is configured, you can use the remote PC to transfer files or clipboard content, print to a local printer, and listen to an audio.
Free Remote PC Access for Mac
Your Mac contains a built-in Screen Sharing feature that allows you free remote PC access. To enable it, click the Apple icon on the top menu bar and navigate to System Preferences. From here, click the Sharing icon and enable the Screen Sharing checkbox.
Now you’ll see the necessary details on how you can connect. If your other Mac is on the local network, simply open the Finder window and look in the Shared area of the sidebar. From here, select the Mac you want to control and choose Share Screen. If you do not have a Mac or need to use another VNC client, connect to the IP address shown here. Note that the IP address shown above is an internal IP where your Mac can be found on your local network. This means that you can’t gain remote access to another computer without forwarding ports.
Click the Computer Settings option to set up a password. Otherwise, you will have to agree to a confirmation dialog on the Mac every time you want remotely access someone’s computer.
To enable remote access to another computer you can set up Screen Sharing to work over the Internet. Open the System Preferences window and click the iCloud icon. From here check the option that says Use Back to My Mac, and simply go through the configuration process. When you use your other Mac that is logged into the same iCloud account, it will appear under the Shared section in Finder. Now you can gain remote access to another computer over the Internet.
If you are looking for a way to connect your Mac to any other device that isn’t Mac, you will need to forward ports in order to ensure that VNC is accessible. Feel free to check the video below for a complete guide on how to remotely access someone’s computer by enabling Screen Sharing on Mac.
I don’t recommend this method unless you know for sure what you are doing. It is more difficult and there are security concerns. To connect over the Internet from other devices, I recommend you to use one of the following alternatives.
Best Free Remote Access Software
TeamViewer is simply the best free remote PC access software that I have ever used. It comes with plenty of features, and it’s also extremely easy to install and use. You don’t need to make any changes to the router or your firewall in order to make it work.
Some of the excellent features of TeamViewer are video, voice calls, text chat, and file transfers. It also supports wake-on-LAN (WOL), and you can even remotely reboot a computer into Safe Mode and then re-connect automatically.
You can check the video tutorial below on how to remotely access someone’s computer using TeamViewer.
I suggest trying TeamViewer before any other free remote access software. It’s the simplest tool to remote control any PC, Mac and Linux computer.
Other Free Remote Access Software
You can find tons of free remote access software on the internet, each having its own advantages and disadvantages. Below are some of my favorite free remote access software tools that will help you to remotely access someone’s computer.
- Remote Utilities – It works by pairing two remote devices together with what they call an “Internet ID”. You can control a total of 10 devices with this tool.
- UltraVNC – It works a bit like Remote Utilities, where a server and a viewer are installed on two devices. The viewer is used to control the server.
- AeroAdmin – The easiest program to use free remote PC access. There are barely any settings, making everything quick and right to the point. It is perfect for spontaneous support.
- RemotePC – It’s a simple free remote access software. You get only one connection (unless you upgrade), but for many of you, that will be just fine.
- Seecreen – Seecreen, previously called Firnass, is an extremely tiny (500 KB,) yet powerful free remote desktop program that’s excellent for instant support.
- Chrome Remote Desktop – An extension for the Google Chrome browser that lets remotely access someone’s computer from any other Chrome browser.
- AnyDesk – Free remote access software that can be run portably or installed like other regular programs.
- LiteManager – It’s strikingly similar to Remote Utilities, which I talk about above. The great thing about it is that it supports a connection for up to 30 PCs, and also has lots of useful features.
- Comodo Unite – It creates a secure VPN connection between multiple devices. Once a VPN is established, you can remotely access someone’s computer through the client software.
- ShowMyPC – It is portable and free remote access program that is very similar UltraVNC. The only difference is that it uses a password to make a connection instead of an IP address.
- join.me – Developed by the same producers of LogMeIn. It provides quick access to another PC over a web browser.
- DesktopNow – It is a free remote access program developed by NCH Software. After you forward the proper port number in your router and sign up for a free account, you can remotely access someone’s computer from anywhere through an internet browser.
- BeamYourScreen – This program is similar to the others on this list, where the presenter is given an ID number and password they must share with another user in order to share his/her screen.
To Monitor a Child’s Activity
Both Windows and Mac OS have integrated tools that allow parents to keep tabs on children activity. Use these to monitor and filter your children activity. We can see a couple of differences between both platforms, but some features are shared. Here is how the features break down:
Control Downloads on Shared Computers
If you are only looking for a way to control what other users download on your PC, try the built-in feature in Windows and Mac. Just set yourself up as administrator of the computer: Only administrator accounts can download files, so make sure everyone else has a standard account and don’t share the administrator password. Standard users will need you (the administrator) to enter the password anytime they need to download something.
On a Windows PC, first set up an administrator account. To do this, go to Settings (through the Start Menu) and select Accounts if you are using Windows 10. For earlier versions of Windows, go to Start and then Control Panel.
An administrative account grants you the power to change security settings and install software. Don’t use the administrator account as your day-to-day account — limit it to these security purposes.
Mac computers also have administrator accounts. When you first set up your computer, you probably created an administrator account, but to create a new one, go to System Preferences and then Accounts. Then click the + to add a new account and set as administrator.
Just like on a Windows computer, only administrators can download files and make changes to the computer.
You can also set up parental controls. These limit the amount of time your kids spend on the computer, as well as what sites they can visit and what games they can play. On a Windows computer, set up these controls by going to Settings (through the Start Menu) and select Accounts — Family & other people if you are using Windows 10. For earlier versions of Windows, go to the Control Panel and then User Accounts and Family Safety.
For a Mac, go to System Preferences and click on Parental Controls. You can select each user and customize controls such as what apps and websites they can access, when and how long they can use the computer, whether or not they can use the webcam, and other activities.
How to Remotely Access Someone’s Computer
Sometimes, it becomes necessary for us to track and monitor user activity on a target PC. This may be for several reasons such as to know who your child is chatting with, monitor its activities during your absence, and protect your child online. In this article, we covered all the necessary details related to monitoring a target PC. To remotely access someone’s computer without them knowing, get a PC monitoring software, such as Realtime-Spy for Windows and Realtime-Spy for Mac.
If you are looking for a way remotely access computers for free (works only with users permission), try TeamViewer. It has everything a powerful remote PC access software should have. You can also check our list of best free remote access software tools and find the right one for your needs.
If you simply need to control downloads on your PC or limit the amount of time your kids spend on the PC and what sites they can visit, simply use the built-in features in Windows and Mac.